I haven’t cooked at home for a while and had a sudden urge to go on a cooking spree on Saturday. Originally I was just going to make a baked rice pudding (which I did) but then I came across this recipe for Cinnamon & Banana cookies and they looked too good to pass up. I also decided that for lunch I would make some fresh rice paper rolls for the fambam with smoked salmon..they were so easy to make, super duper healthy and tasted great. Unfortunately I can’t say these cookies are as healthy as the rice paper rolls, but they tasted just as good and were just as easy to whip up.
(Makes 20 cookies)
1 cup (90g) rolled oats
1 cup (150g) plain (all-purpose) flour
¾ cup (60g) desiccated coconut (I used a bag of shredded ‘moist’ coconut, any type will do)
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
¼ cup banana chips, roughly chopped
2 tablespoons golden syrup
½ cup (110g) caster (superfine) sugar
½ teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
1 tablespoon hot water
1 banana, chopped into small pieces
1. Preheat the oven to 160ºC
2. In a bowl, place the oats, flour, cinnamon, coconut and chopped banana chips, set this aside
3. In a saucepan over low heat place the golden syrup, sugar and butter and stir until the butter is melted and the sugar is dissolved
4. Mix the bicarbonate of soda with the water and add to the golden syrup mixture – it should cause it to bubble up slightly
5. Pour the golden syrup mixture over the dry ingredients, add the chopped banana and mix well
6. On a lined baking tray, place tablespoons of the mixture and allow enough room for the cookie to expand whilst cooking
7. Bake in the oven for 20 minutes or until golden. A good way to check they are ready is to use a spatula to lift a cookie and see if they are a deep golden colour underneath.
8. Cool on wire racks & EAT!
Enjoy :) & have a good week peeps