Judging from all of my recent recipe posts, you must all think I am the size of a house by now. This Caramel Pecan Pie recipe was so quick and easy I thought I should share it. I whipped this up on Easter morning to take to my friend picnic. There is nothing better then finishing off Easter lunch with some sweet caramel pie, crunchy base and nutty topping.
2 x Sheets of Frozen Shortcrust Pastry
60gm Brown Sugar
1 x 395gm of Sweetened Condensed Milk
2 x Eggs
1 tsp Vanilla Extract
1. Preheat the oven to 170 degrees celcius
2. Thaw the frozen shortrust patry slightly and layer out onto a flan tin with removable base. I put one sheet down and then used the other sheet to fill in the gaps.
3. I then blind baked the pastry to ensure that it had a crunchier finish as I hate a doughy base. Cover the pastry with baking paper and rice, place in the oven for 10 minutes, remove rice and baking paper and place back in the oven for another 8 minutes till lightly golden.
4. Now layer the pecans on the slightly cooked base, you can try and make a pattern but once the caramel mixture is poured in all of the pecans will move around.
5. To make the filling, whisk together the sweetened condensed milk (I used the light variety as that is all that was left at the supermarket, I could not notice any difference in taste or texture), eggs, brown sugar and vanilla extract.
6. Pour the mixture into the base, you will notice all of the pecans rise and float to the top.
7. Place in the oven and bake for about 35 minutes or until the top is golden and the filling is set.
There we have it, easy, simple and amazingly yummy caramel pecan pie. It’s great if you can serve it hot, but if not it tastes just as good cooled.